27 Nov WE ARE HIRING – Research Engineer
- Unique opportunity to work with world leading data scientists
- Located on the Camperdown Campus at the DARE ARC Training Centre
- Full-time, 2-year fixed term with a base salary of $95K – $104K p.a., plus leave loading and a generous employer’s contribution to superannuation
About the opportunity
The Data Analytics for Resources and the Environment (DARE) Centre is an Industrial Transformation Training Centre led by the University of Sydney in partnership with the University of NSW and University of Western Australia. We are currently seeking a Research Engineer to work collaboratively with DARE researchers and students to provide data science and engineering support. In this role you will use an understanding of scientific computing and modern statistical and machine learning methods to implement advanced data science algorithms and build the software infrastructure needed to apply these algorithms to real-world data. This will involve working with a variety of complex, structured datasets; and working in interdisciplinary teams and translating solutions across domain boundaries.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for Research Engineer who demonstrates:
- relevant tertiary qualifications in computer science, computational statistics, physics or engineering
- knowledge of modern data-centric programming languages such as Python or R, and development languages for scientific computing such as C++ or Fortran
- experience dealing with real-world data sets, including heterogeneous and/or unstructured data with missing or unreliable fields
- an understanding of modern scientific computing tools, including high-performance and high-throughput computing environments
- an appreciation of modern data science methods and familiarity with statistical or machine learning techniques
- experience in reporting analytical findings to scientific and broader audiences, including documentation, presentations, papers and data visualizations
- accuracy, attention to detail and organizational skills
- planning, analysis and communication skills together with the ability to work according to strict deadlines and manage various demands.
The School of Mathematics and Statistics is one of the largest mathematical sciences schools in Australia, and the University of Sydney is the only Australian university to have received the highest rating of 5 out of 5 for research in the mathematical sciences in every Australian Research Council (ARC) Excellence in Research for Australia assessment to date. For more information on the School click here
The ARC Industrial Transformation and Training Centre in Data Analytics for Resources and the Environment (DARE) is a multidisciplinary initiative to develop and apply new data science methodologies for stewardship of Australias natural resources. DARE is a collaboration of researchers across domain science and industry aiming for impacts including 3-D geological and geophysical modelling, hydrological modelling of groundwater and surface water systems, bushfire and drought response, and resilience of ecological systems to external shocks. The methodologies developed by DARE will focus on the quantification of uncertainty in complex models of natural systems at scale. For more information on DARE click here
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australias first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 8,100 academic and non-academic staff who support over 73,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please visit the University of Sydney website.